Friday, March 10, 2006

Control

Here is some more information about the new Joy Division movie "Control."

Unknown actor lands star role in film of iconic singer's life


A LEEDS man has beaten off competition from Hollywood to land a top role in a new film.

Sam Riley, who sings with Yorkshire rock group 10,000 Things, will take the part of Ian Curtis, the troubled lead singer with iconic Manchester band Joy Division who committed suicide in 1980, in a forthcoming biopic. It will be his first major acting role.

The film, provisionally titled Control, will co-star Oscar-nominated Samantha Morton as Curtis's wife, Deborah. Filming begins on location in Manchester later this year.

Mr Riley, 25, of Woodhouse, was told he had the role on his birthday.

He said: "I initially went auditioning for the drummer. But then they asked me back. I left without much hope. But I guess I didn't do too bad."

"I didn't believe it to begin with because I know there were a couple of major Hollywood actors interested but it was obviously a pretty amazing present. They asked me not to tell anyone because they didn't want it leaking on to the internet. So I went out that night to celebrate but I couldn't actually say anything to anybody other than the band and my family."

The movie, to be released next year, is not the first to portray Curtis. Sean Harris played the singer in 2002's 24-Hour Party People in which Mr Riley had a bit-part, later edited out.

It told the story of Factory Records, the Manchester label to which Joy Division famous for hits such as Love Will Tear Us Apart, Transmission and Atmosphere were signed.

Mr Riley said: "I'm not an obsessive Joy Division fan, but I've always rated them they're a class band. Now, though, I'm trying to get as much of their material and as much footage as I can."

The job will not, he says, effect his position in 10,000 Things.
He said: "I'm not about to use this role as a tool to get into Coronation Street or whatever. Hopefully it will raise the band's profile."

His brother George, 23, who plays bass in the band, was equally pleased as his brother.

He said: "It's good news. I'll be at the premiere."

This will be the first film to make Curtis its central character. Based on the book, Touching From A Distance by Deborah Curtis, it will focus on the star's battles with epilepsy and depression. The book ends with his suicide in 1980, just weeks before Joy Division were due to embark on their first American tour.

Anton Corbijn, who has previously made music videos with the likes of U2 and Nirvana, will direct the film. New Order, the band formed from the ashes of Joy Division after Curtis's death, will provide the soundtrack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home